Sunday, November 23, 2008

Jamie's Thanksgiving Favorites

What does Thanksgiving mean to you? For me, it is a time to REFLECT and be THANKFUL for all the good in your life. It is also a time to SHARE. I was selected to make the dessert for Thanksgiving this year and I've decided to make the world’s best carrot cake (seriously) and ever better, I've decided to SHARE it with all of you. Funny enough, I’m actually not a huge carrot cake lover, but I was recently introduced to this decadent dessert and I've never looked back. I was hesitant to try it, but sure enough, I did and now I’m hooked. I got my hands on the recipe and I encourage all of you to try it. It’s not difficult to make and you will THANK me later. Here you go…



The BEST Carrot Cake
2 Cups All-purpose Flour
2 t Baking Soda
2 t Cinnamon
½ t Salt
3 Eggs
2 Cups Sugar
¾ Cup Buttermilk
¾ Cup Oil (I use ¾ Cup Melted Butter)
1 – 8oz. Can Crushed Pineapple (drained)
2 Cups grated Carrots
1 Cup Pecans
Optional ingredients ~ 1 Cup Coconut and/or 1Cup Raisins

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Mix together the first four ingredients. Keep separate. In a large mixing bowl cream together the Eggs, Sugar, Buttermilk, Oil (or Butter). Then slowly add the flour mixture. When everything is completely mixed together add the Pineapple, Carrots and Nuts as well as any of the optional ingredients.

This mix will make a very nice 3 layer cake or a 9 x 13. Grease desired pans and bake. 3 Layers cook for 35 minutes, 9 x 13 bake for 45-50 minutes. While the cake is baking prepare the Buttermilk Glaze which will be put on the cake just out of the oven while it is still hot.


Buttermilk Glaze
1 Cup Sugar
½ Cup Buttermilk
½ Cup Butter
1 T Corn Syrup
½ t Baking Soda
1t Pure Vanilla Extract
Mix all ingredients, (except the Vanilla) in a heavy saucepan and bring to a boil and cook for 4-5 minutes stirring constantly. When the sauce is done boiling, remove from heat and add the Vanilla. Once the cake is completely cooked, poke holes with a wooden pick and pour the Buttermilk glaze over entire cake allowing it to seep into the cake. Immediately cover the cake with plastic wrap and refrigerate until cool, about 2 hours. When cake is cool top with the Cream Cheese Frosting.

Cream Cheese Frosting
8 oz. Cream Cheese (room temperature)
3 oz. Cream Cheese (room temperature)
¾ Cup Butter (room temperature)
3 Cups Powdered Sugar (sifted)
1 T Pure Vanilla Extract

Cream together Cream Cheese and Butter then add the Powdered Sugar slowly, when everything is completely mixed, add Vanilla.

Frost the cake and keep refrigerator until served.

I have never met ANYONE who doesn't LOVE this cake. ENJOY!!!! If' you'd like more Thanksgiving reciepes email me!

We'd also like to know about you're favorite Thanksgiving foods and recipes. Feel free to post them here as a response. You're neighbors and bloggers from all around the world will thank you.

Oh, and just a reminder, Clementine’s (located at 1751 Ensley Avenue, LA 90024) Thanksgiving Menu is now available at http://www.clementineonline.com/. For those of you who don’t have time to cook or bake, everything is home made and delicious. I highly recommend the chocolate cream pie all orders must be placed by Saturday, Nov 22nd.

Posted by Jamie Theis

No comments: